Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Solicitor?

The Solicitor is an elected official who handles all criminal prosecution in the Court of General Sessions and Family Court, similar to a District Attorney in other states. There are 16 Judicial Circuits and each consist of at least two counties in South Carolina and a Solicitor is elected to oversee each Judicial Circuit. In the Conway, Georgetown and Myrtle Beach areas, Solicitor Jimmy Richardson is responsible for the 15th Judicial Circuit, which includes Horry and Georgetown counties. An election is held every four years for the position of Solicitor. Each Solicitor’s Office has Deputy Solicitors, Senior Assistant Solicitors and Assistant Solicitors who handle prosecution of criminal cases.

How can I obtain a background check?

The Solicitor’s Office does not provide background checks. A background check can be obtained from the SLED website link or the Clerk of Court’s office.

What should I do if I witness a crime?

Dial 911 and call police immediately.

What happens if I do not show up for court?

A bench warrant could be issued for your arrest.

How can I get my criminal record expunged?

Visit our Expungement section to see if you qualify. If you do qualify, download an Expungement Screening Application from our Forms page under the Connect section, and bring it to the Solicitor’s Office in Horry or Georgetown County where your charges were prosecuted.

What are my rights as a victim in a crime?

Visit our Victim Witness section to learn more about your rights and what to expect when coming to court.

How do I get a copy of a police report?

Contact the police agency that created the report.

Can you provide me with legal advice about my case?

No, the Solicitor’s Office is prohibited by law from providing legal assistance.

When will my case come to Court?

Several factors determine when a defendant is scheduled to come to court such as date of the arrest; the type of charge(s); and the time needed by the assigned Solicitor to properly assess, investigate, and prepare the case will impact when the case is called for court.

I cannot afford to hire an attorney to represent me in my case, what should I do?

Anyone charged in the Court of General Sessions or a juvenile court offense can apply for a Public Defender to represent them. You must meet certain qualifications to receive the representation. Visit the 15th Circuit Public Defender’s website for more details here:

If you have a question that is not answered on our website, please submit your question to the Solicitor’s Office at