Grant Approval for Buyout Program
Conway, South Carolina (March 9, 2021)—Today, the South Carolina Disaster Recover Office SCDRO announced the approval of CDBG-mitigation funding for Horry County that will help buyout properties from flood victims in the Socastee area of Horry County. SCDRO approved $13 million in buyout funding to purchase approximately 60 homes.
In addition, this funding will cover two major mitigation projects in the Bucksport area. This community expressed interest in solutions that would allow them to stay in their homes, and we determined there
were some viable projects as a part of the County’s resiliency planning process. Those projects were submitted in this application for funding, and approved.
County Councilmember Cam Crawford said, “I am very encouraged by today’s announcement. I believe this will help provide significant relief to vulnerable members of our community, including the residents
“We are very thankful that the state is providing Horry County with the funds to complete this critical
piece of flood protection for our community,” said Horry County Council Chairman Johnny Gardner. “I also want to thank our local delegation, the Governor, and my fellow county council members for their
hard work and advocacy that helped bring us to this moment.”
Horry County submitted an application for the buyout program in December 2020 and has recently learned that a portion of that proposal has been approved through the U.S. Housing and Urban
Development Community Development Block Grant Mitigation Program. Horry County has been waiting for this program along with our residents for a number of years and we are prepared to expedite the program as quickly as possible in coordination with the state.
This is a voluntary program that will pay for the cost of purchasing, demolishing, and stabilizing lots for over 60 flood-prone homes along the Intracoastal Waterway in Socastee. Homes outside of the targeted
area will apply directly to SCDRO.
Horry County will be hosting a virtual seminar on March 23, 2021 at 3 p.m. to provide an update to affected residents to be followed by several intake meetings in the designated areas. Anyone who filled
out the interest form last year will be contacted by the County with their next steps. Even those who did not fill out the interest form last year are eligible to begin the intake process, assuming they meet the
Director of Community Development Courtney Frappaolo said, “The Community Development Office is working closely with the state to develop a smooth intake process so that we can help residents get
through this program as efficiently as possible. We know that these residents have been tremendously patient and we ask that everyone continue to work together with us as we get this underway.”