General Job Description
Under supervision, assist skilled craftsmen in performing a variety of daily task to maintain the Horry County grounds in a neat, clean, orderly and sanitary condition while working in a harmonious relationship with others.
- Duties for this Position
- The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
1. Performs various grounds maintenance duties as assigned including but not limited to mowing lawns; trimming hedges, ditches, flowerbeds and retention ponds; edging sidewalks and flowerbeds; removing debris and sand from walkways and parking lots; shaping flowerbeds; spreading fertilizer; spraying chemicals; digging and planting new landscape; removing dead foliage and/or trees; etc. Conducts general grounds maintenance for new construction sites.
2. Works with lawn equipment to assist in duties such as grading and moving dirt; removing water; cleaning roofs, gutters, down spouts; moving flowers, shrubs, straw within walking distance; etc.
3. Completes required reports by the department including but not limited to: daily report of completed work, weekly mileage log, gas receipts, etc.
4. Utilizes a variety of tools and equipment in the performance of the job including but not limited to lawn mower, weed trimmer, edger, blower, vehicle, atv, trailer, hedge trimmer, rake, chemical sprayer, shovel, pole hedger, bed scapper, push spreader, tractor, skid loader, back hoe, auger, chainsaw, air gun, ladder, pressure washer, loppers, pole saw, post hole diggers, wheel barrel, pitchfork, carpenter’s tools, mechanic tools, etc.
5. Required to wear (PPE) Personal Protective Equipment on a daily basis to ensure safety and protection to yourself and others around you.
6. Performs minor repairs on equipment while maintaining the daily upkeep of the tools as required by the department guidelines.
7. Able and willing to comply with Horry County and Department policies and guidelines.
- Position Minimum Requirements
- KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES QUALIFICATIONS
High school education and one to two years of grounds maintenance experience, or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities. Must possess a valid driver’s license and have a criminal background check and pass a drug test. The job requires a person to pull and back a long utility trailer with equipment behind a vehicle.
Must be physically able to operate a variety of machines and equipment, computer, basic office equipment, vehicle, etc. Must be able to exert up to seventy-five (75) pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Physical demands are in excess of those for sedentary work; driving, walking, standing, stooping, kneeling, pushing, pulling, climbing, balancing, standing for periods of time. Have good verbal communication. Must be able to lift and/or carry weights of up to seventy-five (75) pounds. Must be able to lift and carry material and equipment needed in the course of work. Work is performed in the outdoor environment; daily exposure to varying temperatures; exposure to dust and controlled and/or hazardous substances, pesticides, herbicides, gases and chemicals; working around moving machinery parts.
Interpersonal Communication Skills
Requires the ability of speaking and/or signaling people to convey or exchange information. Includes receiving assignments and/or directions from supervisor. Tactfully and effectively handles requests, suggestions and complaints.
Requires the ability to read a variety of work orders, blueprints, specifications, codes, policy and procedure manuals, etc. requires the ability to prepare routine reports, logs, purchase requisitions, etc. with proper format. Requires the ability to speak with and before others with clarity, voice control and confidence.
Requires the ability to apply rational systems to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Has the ability to apply common sense in understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagrammatic form; to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in or from standardized situations. Requires the ability to make independent judgments in absence of supervision; to acquire knowledge of topics related to primary occupation. Must have the ability to comprehend and interpret received information.
Requires the ability to record and deliver information, to explain procedures, to follow and give verbal and written instructions. Must be able to communicate effectively and efficiently.
Requires the ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, and to utilize mathematical formulas with ease to determine percentages and decimals and to determine time and weight.
Requires hand/eye coordination to operate appropriate machinery and motor vehicles.
Must have significant levels of eye/hand/foot coordination to use specialized machinery; to handle a variety of items, tools, control knobs, buttons, switches, catches, etc.
Visual and or Color Discrimination
Requires the ability to read maps and to visually read information. Must have ability to differentiate colors and shades of color.
Requires ability to relate effectively with people beyond giving and receiving instructions. Must be self-motivated and able to work in a group. Must be adaptable to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, unusual or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are make or break aspects of the job. The worker may be subject to danger or risk to a significant degree, or to tension as a regular consistent part of the job. Presentation and emphasis upon importance of maintenance of positive image within the County. Able to interact effectively with County staff and management, professionals and the public.
Has thorough knowledge of the methods, practices, and procedures of general maintenance and repair as they pertain to the specific duties of the position. Knows of industry standards and codes and is able to implement such into the daily completion of projects. Has the mathematical ability to handle required calculations. Has the ability to complete daily activities within assigned time frames. Is able to follow oral and written instructions in order to complete required tasks. Is knowledgeable in the methods and materials used in the Department. Is knowledgeable in the use of equipment, machines, tools, and toxic agents. Has the ability to perform required duties and responsibilities in adverse weather conditions such as heat, cold, wetness, and humidity; and in presence of potentially dangerous dusts, odors, toxic agents, noise, smoke, explosives, and electrical currents. Possesses comprehensive knowledge of trade terminology and principles. Is able to apply common sense understanding to perform tasks in a safe, effective, and timely manner. Has the ability to use independent judgment in routine and sometimes non-routine situations. Has the ability to utilize supervisory techniques in overseeing and directing activities of subordinates. Has the ability to offer training assistance to co-workers and employees of other departments a required. Has the ability to offer instruction and advice to subordinates regarding departmental policies, methods and regulations. Has comprehensive knowledge of the terminology and various professional languages used within the department. Knows how to maintain effective relationships with personnel of other departments, professionals and members of the public through contact and cooperation. Knows how to react calmly and quickly in emergency situations. Has the ability to learn and utilize new skills and information to improve job performance and efficiency.
**The information provided in this job description is designed to provide the general nature and level of work performed within the job classification. The job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive list of all work duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of team members assigned to this job. This job description may be updated, modified and/or revised or eliminated by the County, at is sole discretion, from time to time as it deems necessary to meet the business needs of the County. The County is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing a culturally diverse workplace for qualified candidates.