General Job Description
Under general supervision of the Circuit Public Defender, provides legal representation for indigent persons charged with criminal offenses.
- Duties for this Position
- Represents indigent criminal defendants for pleas or trials.
- Conducts legal research in preparation of cases.
- Writes and/or provides legal documents as needed.
- Must be familiar with federal and state laws relating to the criminal defense of indigent clients.
- Experience with criminal judicial proceedings is preferred.
- Position Minimum Requirements
- A Juris Doctorate degree of Law from an accredited college or university admitted and licensed to practice in the State of South Carolina. The issue of actual or potential conflicts of interest will be carefully considered when reviewing applications.
- Must be admitted to practice before S.C. State courts.
- Must have completed all Rule 403 requirements.
- Prefer some legal experience in criminal litigation.