General Job Description
Performs variety of skilled duties in the electrical trade, for the purpose of maintaining, repairing or remodeling county owned and operated buildings and facilities.
- Duties for this Position
- The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
1. Performs a variety of electrical maintenance and repair duties, ensuring that all work is done in accordance with standards and specifications as required by the NEC.
2. May perform electrical installations and repairs including such activities as installing and repairing light fixtures, switches, receptacles, fuses, computer data lines and circuit breakers; and other electrical equipment as required.
3. Assists as directed in the operation and maintenance of electrical systems such as: building power services, generators, UPS units, lighting systems, fire alarm systems or other similar equipment as needed.
4. Completes required records or logs including but not limited to mileage sheets, vehicle maintenance log, purchase orders, requisitions, OSHA required safety sheets, etc.
5. Uses an assortment of types of machinery and equipment in the performance of daily tasks including vehicles, power tools, carpenter’s/electrician’s tools, back hoes, bob cats, bucket lifts, voltage meters, torches, etc. Exercise care and safety n the use of equipment and tools required to complete assigned tasks.
6. Must have the experience in effectively troubleshooting basic electrical circuits and components.
7. Takes direction from immediate supervisor, coordinates with co-workers, County employees, etc.
8. Is able and willing to comply with Horry County and Department policies regarding absences and use of paid leave time and other policies.
9. Will be required to respond to emergency calls. Must be flexible to as required including nights & weekends.
10. Will be required to perform other maintenance duties as assigned to meet department needs.
- Position Minimum Requirements
- Vocational school diploma with at least two (2) years of commercial electrical experience one or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities. Must possess a valid driver’s license and pass the criminal background check and drug test.
Must be physically able to operate a variety of machines and equipment including hand and power tools, vehicles, heavy machinery, diagnostic tools, etc. Must be able to exert up to thirty (30) pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Physical demands are in excess of those for sedentary work; work involves driving, walking, standing, stooping, kneeling, pushing, pulling, climbing, balancing, standing for periods of time. Must be able to lift and/or carry weights of up to one hundred (100) pounds. Must be able to lift and carry material and equipment needed in the course of work. Work may be performed in the outdoor environment; daily exposure to varying temperatures; exposure to dust and controlled and/or hazardous substances, pesticides, herbicides, gases and chemicals; working around moving machinery parts.
Interpersonal Communication Skills
Requires the ability of speaking and/or signaling people to convey or exchange information. Includes receiving assignments and/or directions from supervisor. Tactfully and effectively handles requests, suggestions and complaints.
Requires the ability to read a variety of work orders, blueprints, specifications, codes, policy and procedure manuals, etc. requires the ability to prepare routine reports, logs, purchase requisitions, etc. with proper format. Requires the ability to speak with and before others with clarity, voice control and confidence.
Requires the ability to apply rational systems to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Has the ability to apply common sense in understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagrammatic form; to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in or from standardized situations. Requires the ability to make independent judgments in absence of supervision; to acquire knowledge of topics related to primary occupation. Must have the ability to comprehend and interpret received information.
Requires the ability to record and deliver information, to explain procedures, to follow and give verbal and written instructions. Must be able to communicate effectively and efficiently.
Requires the ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, and to utilize mathematical formulas with ease to determine percentages and decimals and to determine time and weight.
Requires hand/eye coordination to operate appropriate machinery and motor vehicles.
Must have significant levels of eye/hand/foot coordination to use specialized machinery; to handle a variety of items, tools, control knobs, buttons, switches, catches, etc.
Visual and or Color Discrimination
Requires the ability to read maps and to visually read information. Must have ability to differentiate colors and shades of color.
Requires ability to relate effectively with people beyond giving and receiving instructions. Must be self-motivated and able to work in a group. Must be adaptable to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, unusual or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are make or break aspects of the job. The worker may be subject to danger or risk to a significant degree, or to tension as a regular consistent part of the job. Presentation and emphasis upon importance of maintenance of positive image within the County. Able to interact effectively with County staff and management, professionals and the public.